Monday, January 4, 2010

Top 20 Albums of the 00s

Allow me, on behalf of the two of us at NMTM, to introduce the final installment of our own listomania. For the past couple of weeks, we've been taking a break from the usual reporting on our blog, I.E. music news, new releases, gossip, and above all, recaps of the radio show itself. Instead, we've been putting lists of our favorites (songs, albums) of 2009 and the decade as a whole. Lists are a lot of fun. Who doesn't like a list? Well this is it. Here are our 20 albums of the decade.

I want to make a controversial statement before I begin. In modern times, the album is a difficult thing to achieve. And I'm not saying that artists don't put out full-length LPs anymore, because they certainly do; but a true album, enjoyable from start to finish, is a rare breed. CDs will continue to exist for a while, but the album, now that's tough to come by. This list indeed ties into my decade's top song's list from last week. I also feel the need to reiterate that these are my favorite records of the decade; not saying these are the greatest records of all time, but all were ones that I was highly interested in and took control of me. Seriously, I listened to these albums so much it drove me to insanity (kind of, but not really).

2005 was year one for me, it's when I started to get serious about music. And since then, I've been moving in two directions in consideration to my music fan-hood: one venturing back to the roots of rock music in the early 00s and the other blazing into the future. I hope you enjoy the list. The final list.

Mike Pop's Top 20 Albums of the 00s:

20. Blink 182 Blink 182 (2003)

Suggested Tracks: Not Now, Violence, Asthenia, and Always

19. Pinback Blue Screen Life (2001)

Suggested Tracks: Offline P.K., Concrete Seconds, Penelope, and Seville

18. Arctic MonkeysWhatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (2006)

Suggested Tracks: I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor, Fake Tales Of San Francisco, Mardy Bum, and When The Sun Goes Down

17. Sonic YouthMurray Street (2002)

Suggested Tracks: The Empty Page, Disconnection Notice, Rain On Tin, and Karen Revisited

16. Big D & The Kids TableStrictly Rude (2007)

Suggested Tracks: Steady Riot, Noise Complaint, Shining On, and She Knows Her Way

15. Tokyo Police ClubElephant Shell (2008)

Suggested Tracks: In A Cave, Tessellate, Sixties Remake, and Your English Is Good

14. The KillersHot Fuss (2004)

Suggested Tracks: Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine, Mr. Brightside, Smile Like You Mean It, and All These Things That I've Done

13. Vampire WeekendVampire Weekend (2008)

Suggested Tracks: Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa, M79, One (Blake's Got A New Face), and The Kids Don't Stand A Chance

12. Bright EyesI'm Wide Awake, It's Morning (2005)

Suggested Tracks: At The Bottom Of Everything, We Are Nowhere, And It's Now, Lua, and First Day Of My Life

11. Say Anything…Is A Real Boy (2004)

Suggested Tracks: Belt, Woe, An Orgy Of Critics, and Admit It!!!

10. Death Cab For CutiePlans (2005)

Suggested Tracks: Marching Bands Of Manhattan, Your Heart Is An Empty Room, Crooked Teeth, and What Sarah Said

9. InterpolAntics (2004)

Suggested Tracks: Evil, Narc, Take You On A Cruise, and C'mere

8. Motion City Soundtrack Commit This To Memory (2005)

Suggested Tracks: Everything Is Alright, Feel Like Rain, Time Turned Fragile, and Monsters Invisible

7. The StrokesRoom On Fire (2003)

Suggested Tracks: Reptilia, Automatic Stop, 12:51, and The End Has No End

6. Coheed & Cambria In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 (2003)

Suggested Tracks: In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3, Three Evils (Embodied In Love & Shadow), Blood Red Summer, and The Velourium Camper I: Faint Of Hearts

5. Daft Punk Discovery (2001)

Suggested Tracks: One More Time, Digital Love, Something About Us, and Voyager

4. The Postal Service Give Up (2003)

Suggested Tracks: The District Sleeps Alone Tonight, Sleeping In, We Will Become Silhouettes, and Brand New Colony

3. Bloc PartySilent Alarm (2005)

Suggested Tracks: Helicopter, Blue Light, This Modern Love, and The Pioneers

2. Arcade Fire Funeral (2004)

Suggested Tracks: Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels), Neighborhood #2 (Laika), Wake Up, and Rebellion (Lies)

1. RadioheadKid A (2000)

Suggested Tracks: Everything In Its Right Place, Kid A, Optimistic, and Idioteque

Who’s ready for the next decade?

Bloc Party - "The Pioneers"


Arcade Fire - "Rebellion (Lies)"


Reflections On Kid A
(Thom Yorke)

No comments: