Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Top 30 Songs of the 00s (Part 2)

Ten years is a long time. At the beginning of this decade I was 11 years old, still living in the great city of Philadelphia, and probably listening to a lot of Foo Fighters. Now I'm 21, live outside the city, and listen to much better music. I also have a beard. One thing that is important to note about every song on this list is that at one point or another, I was obsessed with every one of them. Every one of these songs became the only songs I would listen to for days on end, as I dissected the meaning, searched for live videos, and imagined myself in the band (I am a nerd).

The order in which these songs are listen is a bit strange. I'm not necessarily saying #7 is better than #9, or that #21 has less worth than #20, but this is the order that just seemed natural to me, and it's my list so I will do whatever I want. Also worth noting, all songs had to be released between 2000-2009, this explains the absence of my number one song of 2009, since it doesn't get full release until 2010. I let it slide on that list, but not on this one. Enjoy, and zip file coming soon.

Jim Adair's Top 30 Songs of the 00s:

30. Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova Falling Slowly
29. Delta Spirit People, Turn Around
28. The Antlers Bear
27. Felice Brothers Frankie's Gun
26. Tegan & Sara The Con
25. The Shins New Slang
24. Cold War Kids Hospital Beds
23. The Mountain Goats This Year
22. Wilco I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
21. Beirut A Sunday Smile
20. The Hold Steady Killer Parties
19. Radiohead Everything In Its Right Place
18. Fionn Regan Put A Penny In The Slot
17. Iron & Wine Jezebel
16. Rilo Kiley Does He Love You?
15. Josh Ritter The Temptation Of Adam
14. The Good Life Album Of The Year
13. Yeah Yeah Yeahs Maps
12. Bon Iver The Wolves (Act I & II)
11. The Avett Brothers If Its The Beaches
10. Pela Waiting On The Stairs
9. The Roots The Seed 2.0
8. Death Cab For Cutie Transatlanticism
7. Elliott Smith In The Lost And Found
6. Colour Revolt Mattresses Underwater
5. Sigur Rós Hoppipolla
4. Ryan Adams Oh My Sweet Carolina
3. Arcade Fire Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
2. The National All The Wine
1. Sufjan Stevens Majesty, Snowbird

No comments: