Thursday, August 27, 2009

Concert: Weezer & Blink 182 (8-26-09)


Last night, Taking Back Sunday, Weezer, and Blink 182 (I'll leave out Chester French) graced the stage at the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel, NJ. A trip to the south for us northern Jersey boys, but not too far out of our way (though a new concert venue for myself).
We planned the trip down to the minute, this being our final summer show. We got our lunch at Jersey Mike's Subs (at an employee discount) and hit the parkway at 2:30 PM. However, once we reached the Arts Center, we were told that the lots weren't open yet and we were pointed to parkway north. Lame. After a quick 22 oz. Bud Light at a local Chili's, we hit the streets again, passing through fields and farms, to once again arrive at the show. We were directed to the reject, additional lots (how appropriate). We had a few cold Busch originals, did the door trick (peeing with two car doors open to block the view of any passersby), made new friends, made new enemies, and walked through a pathway in the woods to reach the venue. Bring on a great night of music.

We arrived in the center around 7:30, only getting to hear three Taking Back Sunday songs: "A Decade Under The Influence", something new, and "MakeDamnSure". I was pleased with the Jersey natives from what I heard. My buddy, Colin said, "all the singer [Adam Lazzara] does now is swing his microphone". Ha. True, though. They have gone down in our minds after Louder Now proved they had changed, but we heard some good ones, so as far as I'm concerned, their live performance is still decent in my mind.

Taking Back Sunday - "Liar (It Takes One To Know One)"


Next up: WEEZER! All hail the crown princes of nerd rock. So many hits were played, it really was an all around great set. I was especially pleased with "The Good Life"; that's a nice one.
They all came decked out in their matching grey track suits to the Fox Searchlight theme song. The crowd connected instantly. On a bill like this, either Weezer or Blink could've headlined, but we were treated to Weezer first. Other high notes: "Buddy Holly", "My Name Is Jonas", "Perfect Situation", "Undone (The Sweater Song)", and the opener "Hashpipe". However, I was letdown because of the lack of "El Scorcho", "We Are All On Drugs", and the fact that Rivers Cuomo played "Island In The Sun" by himself. Cheese. Perhaps the greatest moment of their performance was their finale, a cover of The Clash's "Should I Stay Or Should I Go?". They've been doing covers like this for a while now (Nirvana's "Breed" got a great reaction in concerts past). I got my clocks cleaned in the pit during that one. Almost fell down the hill, too. Ouch. This being my first Weezer experience (well, Blink and TBS, too), I was impressed and in fact, I'll go on to say I loved it. Well done, Weezer.

Weezer - "Beverly Hills"


Finally, the epic return of the band that captivated most of our adolescent and teenager years: BLINK 182! Mark, Tom, and Travis! The boys were back, in our home state, playing the songs that made us love them so long ago. They opened with "Dumpweed", followed by "Feeling This". Explosive. Light up that weed, audience. Jesus Christ, there was so much dust and smoke I could barely see the stage. In between songs, the band would joke around, making fun of the crowd and each other, like they always did. It feels weird after all that happened with the breakup and the awful bands in between, but they seem to have not missed a step and can still play and make us laugh at the same time.
During a few songs in the set, Blink totally slowed down the pace, with "I Miss You", "Stay Together For The Kids", and "Down". But fear not, they did pick it up, with my personal favorite "Always", "Stockholm Syndrome", and "First Date". A lot from the self-titled album, which is indeed my overall favorite. Best tune of the night came via "Not Now"; it really was intense and brought back some great feelings. After yelling at kids for texting during the show (just like Arctic Monkeys at APW, the kids were BAD. Annoying, out-of-place, young, on their phones, etc. How old were they when Blink came onto the scene anyway? We're they embryos? And why would they try to start a circle pit for "Adam's Song?" Kill me. Okay, I'm done), the band played closer "Anthem (Part 2)". They eventually came out to a loud roar from the crowd: "ONE. MORE. SONG!". Travis dominated a sick drum solo to hip-hop beats while he and his drumset ascended from the stage and cricled around it. It was sick. The video's below. Then the rest of the band came on, finishing the night with the classic oldie "Carousel" and ending with "Dammit". A massive stampede ran through the lawn during "Dammit" so ferociously, I thought my friends had been killed. Luckily, no one died and the show ended in epic form. Loud, raw, and true. Blink is back. Thank the good lord in Heaven.

Travis Barker's Sick Drum Solo

Blink 182
- "Always"


After the show, we found the nearest White Castle, where we inhaled burgers and licked our dirt-covered wounds clean. The night was over, and for the most part, the summer, as well. It's all over. But what a way to go out. To all those who went, or have seen Blink/Weezer before, you know how awesome it was. Just awesome.

What's next for the Blink boys? I don't know, nor do I care. I can proudly say that I saw them, redeemed, vindicated, and playing their greatest hits. One night only. In my homeland. And it kicked ass. God Bless.

For more pictures (like the one's I stole), check them out here, thanks to Jersey Shore/MetroMix.
And for more videos, just find them on YouTube like everyone else does.

No comments: