Thursday, April 16, 2009

Indie 101 Segment: Top 5 Favorite Death Cab Videos

You know these guys. They're basically the welcoming mat for all those who wish to journey into the independent music circuit. Yes, they are a springboard. Yes, they are from Seattle. Yes, they have had their major label battles. And yes, they're a hit with the ladies (chicks dig the sensitive and shy indie nerds). They've been around for awhile, since '97 to be exact. Since then, they've made some really interesting music videos - some released officially, others released on limited edition DVDs. With all that being said, the videos are worthy of a NMTM countdown. Let's start, shall we?

5. The Sound Of Settling

One of their first major successes. A really unique video, haven't seen much like these around. Got some Subterranean airplay back in the day. Deserving of the number five spot.


4. Cath...

You know where's a cool place to hang out, sit indian-style, and sing along? A forest-esque dressing room. Let's tell stories of a sour romance that leads to a dooming marriage. The second most recent and pretty well done.

3. What Sarah Said
death cab for cutie: what sarah said[directions]

Featured on "Directions", the DVD of profound music videos for "Plans", this was a very moving video. Watch for yourself. We've all been in these types of situations, just maybe not to the theatrical extent of this one.


2. Your Heart Is An Empty Room

One of my favorite animated music videos. I consider it up there with Radiohead's "Paranoid Android". This song brings me back to my freshman year of college when I was interested in this one girl who really dug this video. I kind of pictured us as the two characters in this one. One of the strongest messages in all of the Death Cab music library.

1. A Movie Script Ending

This was kind of the reason for making a list in the first place. I always go back to this song. It's the song I want to be played at my funeral, among others (sick thought, right? I'm too young for that). It takes me back to the final months of high school. It's a call to a conclusion. The video itself is the typical American teenage relationship, or atleast what most kids aspire. See for yourself. It's one of my favorite records of all time and it's my number one.


Agree or disagree?

1 comment:

Jim Adair said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHzEqGEywA

that not being in there defies all logic