Saturday, January 9, 2010

Running Playlists

Indie rockers love running.

Any time of year is a great time to begin a commitment, especially a healthy one. It just so happens that once the new year hits, it's all about resolutions. One of mine this year was to get back into solid running shape (like, to run 4-5 miles at a good pace and not be winded). For those who don't know me that well, I was a pretty serious runner for a number of years; I ran cross country and track in high school and reminiscent about it constantly. It's tough to stay dedicated to the regiment in college, with the demanding schedule, workload, and ... the beer. But I'm going to reach my goal, that's for certain. Running long distances is very soothing, once you build your base. It's mostly a love/hate relationship for me, but the euphoric feeling you get from finishing a long run is like none other. R
unner's high, baby. So how does this correlate with music?

Each day this past week, I listened to a different band's album each time I hopped on the treadmill (f.y.i, I have a 30-day membership at a gym owned by some variation-of-Christianity Church and they blast Christian rock like Jesus is watching). Here are some bands that got me pumped up while racking up the miles. Give them a listen next time you lace up and hit the road.

Monday: Nirvana - Live At Reading Festival
Started the week off with some live, grunge fury. The band opens with "Breed", and then goes into "Drain You", "Aneurysm", "School", "Sliver" and "In Bloom". That's as far as I got, but other notable tracks from this '92 show are "Come As You Are", "All Apologies", "Dumb", and "Stay Away".

Tuesday: Alice In Chains - The Essential Alice In Chains
I needed some hard rock on the most unattractive day of the week. Songs like "Man In The Box", "Would?" and "Rooster" helped me out during a run that felt to have lasted 6 miles, not 2 and a half. Layne's painful moaning let me know I wasn't the only one doing something hard. A great "Essential" compilation.

Wednesday: The Replacements - Last Show Ever! (Bootleg)
Something about live recordings really gets me moving. The Mats bring out the rockin' guitars on their final gig, opening with "I Will Dare". Then it's on to "Bent Out Of Shape", "Achin' To Be", "Merry Go Round" and others. At this point, I'm a sweaty mess, but it feels good. A must-own bootleg for the serious Westerberg fan.

Thursday: The Clash - Live At Shea Stadium
Punk rock running. Recorded when they opened for The Who back in the early 80s. I will admit that some of their reggae tunes made me want to slow down and take a breather, but tracks like "London Calling" and "Rock The Casbah" got my legs revved up. Also, I daydreamed a bit during "Police On My Back" about being chased by cherry-tops.

Friday: Day off. (What? I needed it.).

Saturday: Say Anything - ...Is A Real Boy
Their only good album, which was also their first studio record. And good album - I mean great. One of my favorites of the decade. It had a bite to it upon first listen and it still does. Standouts on this Saturday afternoon jog were "Belt", "Woe", and "Spidersong". I should've listened to "Admit It!!!", a song about arrogant hipsters lights my fire.

Sunday:
Well I'm writing this, isn't that enough of a strain?


The Clash - "Police On My Back"


For more information on running and working out, visit CoachPopFitness.com. That's my brother's site, which he should update more frequently. Maybe that will be his resolution. Oh, and check this out for more information regarding the benefits of music and fitness.

No comments: