Saturday, September 12, 2009

New Album: Colin Hay's "American Sunshine"

Colin Hay, ex-guitarist/frontman of Austrailia's greatest band of all time (it's true), Men At Work, has been putting out solo records for quite sometime, dating back to 1987. At 56, his newest album American Sunshine came out in the middle of last month and I am just now giving it a listen. I've been really high on 2002's Going Somewhere during this current transition from summer into fall and moving back into my apartment here at school. So that being one of my favorite, older albums, it seemed fitting to try out the latest effort by Hay. It's really great, people. I'm a huge fan Hay's acoustic work, but on this record, he's got a great band backing him up. The songs range from the simple and mundane things in everyday life to the more serious and dramatic events. A really good dynamic. Hay is definitely one of the greatest "everymans" in popular music history (throw in Phil Collins, too). Below is a video of Hay performing "There's Water Over You" for Fox News' Strategy Room. According to YouTube comments, it's a song about his father. And it's just the way I like my Hay: alone, with just a guitar and a voice. Oh, and a story. Check it out:

Colin Hay
- "There's Water Over You"



American Sunshine
is out now via Compass.

No comments: