Sunday, August 9, 2009

Don't You ... Forget About John

80's coming-of-age/teenage angst films director John Hughes died earlier this week of a sudden heart attack, adding yet again another popular name to the obituaries this summer. This sucks. I've always been an admirer of his work in the Vacation movies and the "Brat-Pack" flicks (The Breakfast Club is one of my all time favorites). If I didn't focus a lot of my attention on music culture or rock 'n' roll research, I like to think film would've been my desired forte. And I'd be able to throw up Mr. Hughes' name under my list of influences (if my work was worthy of any prestige, of course). Music For Kids Who Can't Read Good and Stereogum have both already written up some great tribute posts to the man, so I'm not going to even try to attempt to one up those guys. They're posts are here and here. However, I will add a music video, just to make this post seem the tiniest bit more flashy. R.I.P John Hughes. Thank you for your work and your life.

Simple Minds - "Don't You (Forget About Me)"

1 comment:

Jim Adair said...

don't forget writer of Home Alone 1&2