Thursday, July 16, 2009

'Mats Chat With A Great DJ

Yesterday, I was fortunate enough to get in contact with a great New York City DJ on the one-and-only 101.9 WRXP ("The Rock Experience"; by now, you know this is my favorite FM station). His name is Rich Russo and he hosts "Anything Anything", a show that plays obscure and underground alternative rock that spans decades and sub-genres, which airs on Sundays at 9 PM. We talked via e-mail about favorite bands, the direction of college radio, and future aspirations. It's always cool to hear professional disc jockeys talk about your favorite bands. This guy is awesome for being so connected with his audience and it's a rare characteristic I try to emulate with our show (remember our show?).

Here's what I said to him:

"Dear Rich Russo,

Excellent program, sir. The show makes my Sunday nights. You really do playing anything AND anything. I'm very impressed. And The Replacements - that band is my everything."

I said more, but do you really want to read about me gushing? No. You don't. Here's the response from the man himself (who also would love to have Paul Westerberg on his program in the future):

"the replacements are a special band and it's sad they couldn't get their act together, when i watch bands like wilco finally start to get recognition and get bigger and bigger, i just realize how big the mats could have been and even 20 years later, they'd be playing 5 nights at the garden...


thank for the kind words about the show and i have the best gig in commercial radio and i realize that, playing whatever i want on the airwaves in NYC."


I agree: the 'Mats at MSG!? It'd be bliss. And we'll just see how Wilco does with their fame; although, I don't think they had the edginess that Westerberg & Co. had which made them a classic alternative rock band (a good thing to an extent?) Tune into "Anything Anything", every Sunday on 101.9 WRXP, starting at 9 PM.

The Replacements - "I'll Be You"

No comments: