Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Classic/Current: Duran Duran

Those who know me fairly well (and peak at my iTunes play count), know I have a profound appreciation for new wave pop. From The Cure, to Echo & The Bunnymen, to Flesh For Lulu, to Psychedelic Furs, to Wang Chung - I find something great in their music. Call it what you will, but this was a new and exciting genre that ruled the underground pseudo-dance/pseudo-post punk scene in the early 80's. Some haters would put it up there with the disco, glam metal, or pussy punk genres of today, but I'm here to say: that's a fallacy. They were truly influential (Notorious B.I.G. obviously loved it). And one band that really took charge and claimed glory out of the movement was Duran Duran.

They were a group of young, good-looking English lads who were eager to make a name for themselves. They used the power of music videos to their advantage, filming and starring in exotic videos shot in some of the world's most remote and tropical places. It was a quick seller and MTV viewers ate it up. Some may be quick to doubt them on looks alone, but the guitar work paved the way for new wave bands to follow. Their success was huge with the classic album Rio in 1982.


I'm writing this because they're back with one of the sexiest videos of the year. They may be passed their prime, but come on, just check out the women in this one. I'm a big fan. I saw this one VH1 Classic the other morning and said to myself, "it's not the 80's anymore, but this group can still make a hell of a video." I also thought, "these chicks got serious issues". Here's their latest off Red Carpet, "Falling Apart".



Red Carpet is out now via Epic Records.

No comments: