Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Music For Airports. And Naps.

I nap. Do you nap? Why don't you nap more? I nap often. Sometimes I find sleep is actually better than reality. Sounds depressing, but I've had better dreams about free falling than actually taking the real-life plunge. I need my sleep, you guys. Close friends and family members think I sleep too much, but I don't think that's such a bad thing. I'd say I'm usually pretty healthy otherwise. Did you know: a recent study has found that the good nappers, men and women, who napped at least three times per week for an average of at least 30 minutes, had a 37% lower coronary mortality risk than those who took no naps. And get this: earlier, NASA sleep researchers have found that a nap of 26 minutes can boost performance by as much as 34%. Nice numbers. Something cool (and kind of more our thing) to try is listening to atmospheric music before you sleep, you know, like to try to trick your mind into developing a dream about the music in your subconscious state. It's worked before. The results are usually confusing, but interesting all the plenty. Here are some tunes that I like to listen to before I sleep, while I sleep, and right when I wake up (because that's when your really affected). And so I write this all because I am bored and there's no need to talk about the new Imogen Heap record because it's going to be awesome and I will mention it slightly below, via music video.

Brian Eno
- "1/1
"


Frou Frou
- "Shh"
(See?)

The Postal Service
- "The District Sleeps Alone Tonight"

Sonic Youth
- "Rain On Tin"

Tycho
- "The Daydream"


Sweet dreams, now.

3 comments:

Sasha said...

thanks for the suggestions, it inspired me to start a playlist called 'night dreaming'. danke.

Mike Pop said...

haha no problem, enjoy the playlist. what kind of tunes are going on it?

Sasha said...

i wouldn't call it finished as of yet, but right now we've got nick drake, frou frou, the postal service, barcelona, radiohead, death cab, eluvium, built to spill.