Friday, June 19, 2009

Some Interesting KUR News + Updates

Okay, it's Friday, and I have a few things to cover before I begin to booze, so let's get this rollin'.

I read my Yahoo! e-mail inbox messages for the first time in a few weeks this morning and I got some great news about our tiny, little station in K-Town. Seems like we're getting a lot of good press lately. Turns out more and more people are beginning to discover us. The only downside is that a lot of the coverage is about how we have a jazz format during the daytime. And that's really our manager's forte. I really wish we'd just switch to an indie/alternative rock station like 99% of all college radio stations. But beggers can't be choosers, I guess. Check out this article in the Reading Eagle:

"Kutztown University radio station finds new way to expand audience.
School is first college to join system that provides music, news, shows over the phone
."

Comments include:

"A jazz format for a college radio station?? Somehow i don't see many college students spending their days listening to jazz.. Perhaps if they did a rock or top 40 format they'd get a better response from their target listeners."

"I've heard the station and it sounds good. Kutztown actually has a very decent jazz program. I know people in the program, so I can see it fitting and working for the school. They seem to be targeting the community."

The second comment was posted by "Mr. Uppity". I guarantee that's our manager. Actually, I'm almost positive.

Another tidbit of info about our station, we recently began broadcasting over the phone. It's pretty unique, not many stations have this option. You basically call this number:
(610)-465-7860; and you can hear our station right on your phone. See, we've got all these fancy ways of hearing us and still not FCC license. Come on, congress! Notice us! Anyway, apparently we broke some kind of record. Here's the e-mail I received from my manager.

"Just got word from Audio Now that our dial in phone # received hundreds of people dialing in at one time yesterday obviously in response to the big article that ran in the Reading newspaper. The e-mails and phones have been ringing off the hook all day here at the KUR offices from hundreds of new listeners who found out about us through the article and are now new listeners. James Kastle's show can hardly handle the multitude of calls coming in this afternoon with comments like "love the jazz," "thank God for jazz on the radio," "we love KUR," "you guys have come such a long way.""

Cool stuff. These kind of news updates raises my faith in our station. Way to go, crew.

Also, make sure to tune into Jim's summer show tonight. It's an hour long of great music and great commentary. 6-7 PM @ kur.kutztown.edu. Stream it, hear it, love it. Comment and let us know what you think!

Moving on: Anyone who knows me, knows that my favorite late night talk program(s) include The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. Funny, 30-minutes, directed towards young people, and the list goes on and on. Anyway, returning from commericial, Jon Stewart of The Daily Show was blatantly singing "Use Somebody" by Kings Of Leon. What a bump! I wonder if anyone else caught that. It's was a pretty cool two seconds.

Lastly: Bloc Party premiered their new single, "One More Chance" last night on BBC 2's Zan Lowe's Radio 1 program. I got around to hearing it this morning via the band's website. Blog Party had this to say about the tune:

"First thoughts? Old skool piano...yay or nay? Anyone else hear shades of 'Your Visits Are Getting Shorter' in the verse? Stay tuned for the video!"

I, for one, enjoyed it. I like the piano. The lyrics aren't too shabby either. I hope it grows on me like "Mercury" did. Bloc Party is definitely one of my favorite bands and they've been constantly changing their direction in alternative music since their first record, Silent Alarm, dropped in 2005. They have a tendency of putting out these singles in between full-length records, so maybe we can expect a new record in the fall? Kepe those fingers crossed.

Enjoy the weekend and (hopefully) get some sunshine!
God knows we've had enough rain in the tri-state for one summer already...

Len - If You Steal My Sunshine

No comments: