Saturday, June 27, 2009

Big Names In For Mulcahy Tribute

Right off the bat: this man is so underrated.

This news comes from the grandfather music blog of all music blogs, Stereogum. Here's the scoop: the picture you see above is of Mark Mulcahy. Singer, guitarist, jangle rock God, nostaglia bearer, and one of the few people I respect from Massachusetts. He's been playing in bands since the 80's, most notably Miracle Legion and Polaris (but that last one was just for Nickelodeon's "The Adventures Of Pete And Pete"). This awesome dude has put out a few solo records, but not any since 2005, a year that was tragic for his family and himself, as they lost Mark's wife in a sudden accident. He hasn't been putting out records since; I think it's because he's been focusing on raising his family now. Totally understandable. But God do I miss hearing new MM material. And I'm not alone. Michael Stipe, Thom Yorke, the boys of The National and many others are putting together a tribute record to Mr. Mulcahy titled "Caio My Shining Star: The Songs Of Mark Mulcahy". The goal: to help Mark get back on his feet and continue to make great music. (I'm starting to believe that Michael Stipe might be God by helping so many people: Cobain, UNICEF, the planet, and the list goes on and on). I've played a number of his tunes on the show, just check out the playlist. Needless to say, I'm very excited for this compilation. A lot of these songs are going to sound different, but different isn't always bad and I'm ready to experience this. Also, twenty or so bonus tracks will be released digitally! Cross your fingers for early work and/or Polaris tunes. Here's the track list:

1. Thom Yorke - "All For The Best"
2. The National - "Ashamed Of The Story I Told"
3. Michael Stipe - "Everything's Coming Undone"
4. David Berkeley - "Loves The Only Thing That Shuts Me Up"
5. Dinosaur Jr. - "The Backyard"
6. Chris Harford & Mr. Ray Neal - "Micon The Icon"
7. Frank Black - "Bill Jocko"
8. Vic Chesnutt - "Little Man"
9. Unbelievable Truth - "Ciao My Shining Star"
10. Butterflies Of Love - "I Have Patience"
11. Chris Collingwood (Fountains Of Wayne) - "Cookie Jar"
12. Frank Turner - "The Quiet One"
13. Rocket From The Tombs - "In Pursuit Of Your Happiness"
14. Ben Kweller - "Wake Up Whispering"
15. Josh Rouse - "I Woke Up In The Mayflower"
16. Autumn Defense - "Paradise"
17. Hayden -"Happy Birthday Yesterday"
18. Juliana Hatfield - "We're Not In Charleston Anymore"
19. Mercury Rev - "Sailors And Animals"
20. Elvis Perkins - "She Watches Over Me"
21. Sean Watkins - "A World Away From This One"

Caio My Shining Star: The Songs Of Mark Mulcahy comes out September 29th, on Shout! Records. Pick it up, you will not be dissappointed.

A personal favorite right here (and the only music video I can find):

No comments: