Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Jim Adair's "The Bearded State"

Last summer, out of sheer boredom, I decided to do something I had never done before. I decided to grow a beard. Now, for background, I was never able to grow facial hair. It seemed to come in really patchy (and it still does) and I never had the patience. But last summer, while on my yearly retreat in Wildwood, NJ, I decided to give it a shot. I am in a mostly solitary state there all summer, so I figured why not. I really enjoyed how it turned out, so I kept it, on and off, for the last 7 months or so. But now, since summer has come back around, I figured I would experiment again.

Here are the rules for my experiment:
  • No trimming, shaving, clipping, or shortening is allowed until the set end date
  • The set end date is August 23rd, my 21st birthday
  • If I want to, I do not have to shave on the 23rd of August
  • Every now and again I will post updates here, with pictures, a story or two about being bearded, and a video or song by one of my favorite bearded bands.
So, without further ado, here is...

"The Bearded State - Episode 1: Sarsgaard."

So I was looking through Us Weekly magazine yesterday, and doing so without shame thank you very much. In this magazine, I stumbled across a picture of a very bearded Peter Sarsgaard. For those who don't know, Mr. Sarsgaard is what you could call a character actor, known for his roles in Jarhead and Garden State. Mr. Sarsgaard is usually pretty clean shaven, with maybe a little 5 o clock shadow now and again. But in this picture I saw, he had what one can describe as a "Megan's Law Beard," where the wearer immediately looks like an imminent threat to your children. Jaoquin Phoenix has been sporting the same kind of facial hair. When I saw this, I started to think, is that what mine will look like at that length, and how do I stop from looking like a total pedophile? I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it.


108 days to go

Pattern Is Movement - Sound Of Your Voice


No comments: