Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Michael Stipe on Jimmy Fallon

1:24 AM: Hmm...I think I'll wait for the video to come on YouTube first. But, um, man. Kind of awkward. He's got a beard - now? And, um, he's into sculpting metal cameras and tapes? I guess it wasn't so normal because not much was discussed about R.E.M., rock 'n' roll, music, or whatnot - only a few minor plugs. But well Stipe's a pretty chill guy - just came in to "hang out", according to Fallon. Always good to hear from him. Great dude. The video and more of a reaction/recap to come when the sun comes up.

(Smaller fonts working? Yeh, nah?)

1:19 PM: Okay, I just woke up not too long ago. I was having crazy dreams and wasn't quite ready to let them go. So...hey, um, YouTube, Stereogum: where's the clip? If I'm not being lazy, you shouldn't either! Okay, so Stipe was the second guest on Jimmy Fallon's show. And by the wa,y I don't watch Late Night a lot, even though when I do, it's usually mildly entertaining. My brain can only handle Adult Swim-esque humor. So Stipe came on the show, gave Fallon a sculpted camera out of bronze. Third place for you, Fallon! What else...um, oh! Fallon embarrassed Stipe by showing a picture of R.E.M.'s first appearance on Letterman back in '83 when they played "Radio Free Europe" and "So. Central Rain", and Stipe just laughed and pointed out his awkward, shyness. In fact, Peter Buck and Mike Mills were the only ones who talked to Letterman; Stipe was too horrified, I assume, and the drummer, well, the drummer never gets recognition, unless they put out a sex tape, nail Pamela Anderson, or die. Stipe also taught Fallon how to smell and smile with your eyes. I didn't understand that and neither did Fallon, obviously because he couldn't keep a straight face during the tutorial. And the last two things: Stipe assured Fallon that he wasn't sucking too horribly and then there's going to be an R.E.M. tribute at Carnegie Hall in New York City tonight (3/11). Damn, why couldn't IBS be this week? I'd totally go see that! They did one like that for Dylan, with Cat Power and Patti Smith, apparently.

Oh, last thing, I promise: Stipe recorded an awkward, old-man hip-hop freestyle/rip off on Fallon's iPhone voice mail. It was stolen from Diddy, but he added some signature Stipeage to it. So that was that. Now, I can watch more Late Night if those are the kind of guests that will be on. I fell asleep shortly after that. Next time, let Stipe sing more than just a humorous voice mail that will be deleted anyway. Come on!

UPDATE!: Oh, here we go. Thanks, Stereogum. Let it be known that we covered something new before Stereogum did. That will be the first and the last time.

Back in '83...good God, look at that hair...

No comments: