Monday, September 8, 2008

MTV's 25th Video Music Awards: The Collapse Of Mankind


I'm debating whether or not I want to get into this, but whatever, here it goes. Britney Spears: train wreck, worst mother in modern times, Satan, whatever - took home 3 awards. It's obvious that MTV wants to resurrect her (or just bring her up only to have her come crashing down - again). Regardless, her music is ass and I'm surprised she's still alive.

Other categories, let's see. Tokio Hotel (sp?)? The lead singer looks like a chick, sounds like a chick, hair looks like an explosion. Another pop-punk band that ruins good labels and further brings about the Apocalypse. They won Best New Artist. Good God.

Russell Brand was host. Very British. American audiences didn't get him. It's cool, he's British. His whole angle was being outlandish to us. I think he did his job.


I didn't really watch the whole thing, but I heard Lil' Wayne put on a good show. Maybe I'll catch it sometime soon. I mean, MTV will only play it 50 more times within the next 2 weeks or so (they could be playing "Music Videos"...).

What a joke. This makes me want to puke. I'm surprised I didn't talk about the Jonas Brothers. ...Too easy.


Stereogum
does a good job of pointing out some awards given to good bands (Death Cab For Cutie, Gnarls Barkley, The White Stripes) in a post last week. Check it out here.


I'm going to go watch clips of early 90's performances at the VMA's and cry. Later.

P.S. In 1991, R.E.M.'s "Losing My Religion" won Video of the Year. In 1993, Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" won the prestigious one, too. Fast forward: Britney Spears wins it in 2008 with "Piece of Me". ... I am looking forward to the end of time in 2012.

P.P.S. I will not bold shitty artists. They do not deserve it. Even on a cheap college blog.

No comments: